Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm too old for this......

Ok, that was a bit dramatic!!
But the 5k I ran this weekend reminded me I'm no 'Spring Chick' anymore!
My days of the sub-20 3 mile are a few years back!
I really missed them this weekend!
But made a pact with myself that before I get any worse.....I'm gonna get a lot better!
Before I share the results....let me give you the ingredients!
Because they mattered!
I can't blame it all on just being out of shape, mommy to three, and 16 years passed my running prime!
I mean, that's a good start.....but there was more!
Oh boy was there more!
First ingredient:
The Daisy 5k - longest running race in Austin history!


Ingredients 2,3,4, and 5:
The weather, the wind, the hour, and THE WIND!!!
Did I mention the wind?
It had something to do with the weather....but did I mention the wind??
It was out of control!
It was freezing....I dare say 'Arctic'!
Oh my gosh! There are no words!
Just a mere 24 hours before we were enjoying weather in the 90's!
I kid you not!
Friday night I drove to the grocery store and it was 90 degrees!
I woke up the next morning expecting a beautiful 5k-run'n Saturday.....and it was!
Thru a window!
That's Texas for ya!
Gracious sakes alive!
We never got above 65...the whole day!
So you can forget about it at 7:30 in the morning!


Yea, not a pretty picture is it!?
Too cold to care and the only one we took!
I ran the entire race wearing that sweatshirt! I thought I would get warm after a mile or so and want to take it off!
Not a chance.....it was cold!!

Worse part about it....I brought my kids!

Poor babies!

They were troopers, though!

Chris was a trooper.....manning the beebies, offering support, and doing it all with a smile!

The whole time I was trying to warm up this was all I could see!
I couldn't stop laughing....
But more because I think I had reached that point passed delirium where everything is funny.....even when it's not!

I can't even imagine what they were thinking!

(but I gave it a shot)





I do need to hand it to them.....there was no crying!
Not to brag, but I have pretty cool kids that way!

It was more just bewilderment!

All in all.....it was a learning experience!
I didn't do great, but better than I expected!
It's a good 'jumping off point'.....the next one will be better!
Time-wise they can't get any worse!
Last night I almost talked myself out of running this one!
Chris and I were on a walk with the kids and I told him I didn't think I was going to do it!
My reason being, I hadn't been running at all since my last race in December!
His only comment was:
"Come on, your a Sanders!"
"You guys can run like a horse.....it's in your blood!"
I ran like something this weekend....just not sure what!?!?

2 comments:

Janice said...

Hey, I'm proud of you for even participating in a 5K when you feel like you're not up to it. I'm sure you may think your time sucked, but you still would kick just about everyone I know's butt!! You're awesome!

Harward Family said...

Gosh that is a bummer that it was so COLD for you...I loved the cute sayings you put on the babies pictures I was laughing:)