Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving for the Nortons was a little different this year.
We're still brand 'spank'n' new to Texas and a good 1,400 miles away from family and friends....but we got ourselves adopted!
Yup, we're true Texans now!
Nikka's family live here and were kind enough to have the Norton clan over for dinner.
Or maybe they just felt the need to go all authentic and have some 'Natives' at the table. (Even if it was only a 'half-breed' and three 'quarter-breeds'.) Whatever the reason....we thoroughly enjoyed their hospitality! It was a relaxing day of fun, food, friends, food, and more FUN!!
It was also a day of FIRSTS!!! Aside from it being my first Thanksgiving away from family....far away from family I might add. It was also my first time contributing to the feast other than just my presence at the table.
I was asked specifically to make a GREENBEAN casserole. For any of you who know me, know that I don't eat greenbeans. In fact I hate them so much I can't eat food thats been touched by greenbeans and I abhore the smell. But that was my assignment. Shopping for the ingredients was also my FIRST time ever buying those dispicable beans! yuck!
So, to have proof that I actually accomplished this feat.....we had to get a picuture!


This is me making my Greenbean casserole.
I got the recipe from a friend in the ward who assured me it was edible.
I made it....... AND people actually ate it!
Hmmmm, Go figure!
I don't know if you can tell from this picture...but I'm trying not to 'toss my cookies' all into that casserole dish!
Something tells me that would have been bad!
Well, right in the middle of our feast preparations the power went out!
We thought it was Nikka's dad...who was outside hanging about a zillion Christmas lights all over the trees on his 2 acre lot.....but it wasn't! The ENTIRE neighborhood grid went out! I wonder how many dinners were affected by that????
We had a few dishes in the two ovens cooking.....but it didn't hurt anything! Not even my casserole. (dangit) We just relaxed outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather until we could finish and then consume the feast!

This is Nikka's mom, Tina.
She is slowly becoming surrogate Grandma to Ryan, Logan and Phoenix...and I don't know whose enjoying that more!?!
Here she is lov'n on Bubba and talking with Ryan!


Nikka was playing with Logan in the yard.
This just might be my little soccer mama!
It was so fun to watch Logan chase that ball around! Boy was she determined!




Finally the feast is finished! And boy was it AMAZING!
Given the circumstances of the day, it was a very relaxed day and enjoyable dinner. The turkey had been smoked the night before and all the food was absolutely amazing! I think I ate twice my body weight in stuffing, fruit salad, turkey and mashed potatoes!
Yum, yum, yum!




This is the fam...minus Bubba!
By the look on Chris' face...I think he ate some of my greenbean casserole!











Logan was fresh up from her nap....but refusing to let Momma get hers!

Something about Mom laying down translates to "let's go climb on her".
Logi looks disoriented here....poor baby!




Dad and Bubba relax'n!











Once we got the kids in their jammies.....it was Daddy's turn as the jungle gym!
He made the mistake of laying down on the floor to ''attempt' to watch football!



Then Nikka became something even better.....
a HORSEY!!!!
Ryan and Logan took full advantage!
Nikka was a great sport!





1 comment:

The Fife's said...

Good job on the beans, I love that casserole. Looks like you guys had a fun day.