Sunday, March 21, 2010

Accident prone or disaster magnet?

It's laughable now.....
the last 3 days
and the messes
I've gotten myself into!
Unfortunately,
today was no exception!
We'll start with
Thursday.
Bubba's birthday
and
Missionary dinner.
We had a turkey in the freezer that had
worn out it's welcome.....
it was time to go.
I decided to cook it for our missionary 'feast.'
An hour of prep,
4 1/2 hours in the oven,
and 20 minutes before our guests arrive,
I'm hefting the 12 lb. bird from it's
'juices'
and one of the wings falls off!
Yea,
the meat was that tender!
But this wing falls and lands right smack in the
scalding hot juices
which in turn
splatter themselves all over
my humongous belly hovering mere inches away!
ouch!!
My belly button is already completely turned inside/out!
My poor tummy is stretched to capacity
and I go and splash it with
hot turkey juice!!
(and to make matters worse, I couldn't just drop the bird to tend to the belly)
'nuff said!
double ouch!!
Now we go to
Saturday!
We wake up to a rainy, wet, Spring day
and decide to head into Austin
and spend the day letting the lil Norts
run amok
at the mall!
Lil Norts in the car,
Dad making one last run through the house
and I take that ill-fated step out the door!
Picture this....
Left foot hits the wet wooden deck
whilst the right foot is still planted safely inside the door.
Out slides the left,
in stays the right.
My legs are only going to stretch so far
and when I reached that limit....
I fall!
Luckily,
I somehow managed to spin myself so that I land
on my left hip, back and shoulder!
My wrist attempts to break my fall......
but at roughly 200 lbs these days,
it didn't do much but give itself a good sprain!
Right foot is still dutifully planted inside the house
and the most searing pain
was feeling like I had dislocated my right hip!
I swear it felt like I ripped it clear out of the socket!
Somewhat akin to how that turkey wing
got itself ripped right off the bird!
Shoe is broken,
hip bones screaming,
lil wrist is swelling,
and Chris is trying to heft me up and off
the same slippery deck
without dropping me and landing himself in a
similar predicament!
We were a
hot mess....
and all while our three lil ones
watched in wide-eyed horror
from the open car door!
Oh, what a sight!
Now we come to
Sunday!
We arrive to Sunday
with a burned belly,
bruised hip, backside, and shoulder,
and a
slightly swollen wrist.
What can happen on a Sunday?
Let me tell you......
I guess the medical term would be
pregnancy edema,
or what I like to call.....
'sausage fingers'.
All is fine and well,
we're on our way to church
and I find my favorite ring tucked away in my church bag.
It's huge,
it's cool,
and I liked it a lot!
I slip it on
and enjoy the rest of the 10-12 minute drive to church.
A good 3 or 4 minutes into it, however,
I'm feeling this tingly feeling in my hand.
Long story short......
by the time we got to the chapel
the ring was stuck,
my finger was growing by the minute,
and there was no way
on God's green earth that ring was coming off!!
I wasted no time finding one of the many men in our ward that drive
'work trucks'!
Trucks filled with all sorts of
tools and gadgets
that might be able to help me in my dilemma this afternoon.
Brother Goldstein......left his at home.
(For the first time since I've known him.)
Brother Roudebush......couldn't get his to start.
(never happened before, he says)
Brother Tripp.....just happened to take his tools out,
(for some unexplainable reason)
Are you kidding me with this????
Me and my 'sausage fingers' were on our own.
I iced.
Used lotion.
Soap.
Faith.
Gravity.
(Let me tell you, your arm gets awful tired in the 'raised' position)
Finally,
during the 2nd hour
I had an embarrassing number of people
trying to help me with this!
When a pregnant woman
gets a ring as big as this one
stuck on a finger as big as mine,
and your surrounded by these nice
country-folk
'good samaritans'....
let me tell you,
stuff happens!!
They were gonna get it off!
And
they did.
But as I sit and type this.....
almost 12 hours later,
I swear I can still feel the pulsating!
I hope it's
true what they say.....
bad things happen in
3's!
Because I'm done!
Burned belly.
Crash-landing.
Sausage finger mayhem.
No more!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

hehe...Im sorry for all your pain. But that sounds so familiar. And I am heading straight for it. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Cant wait to see Baby Norton. :)

Dane and Annie said...

I don't know what to do. I feel guilty for laughing at your misery, but if the truth must be told, I didn't stop laughing the whole time. (The whole time it took me to read the post 3 times because it was so funny)
I hope you are feeling better, and that you don't get into any more trouble.
And tell that little baby to come out already, I can't wait to know what it is!! :)

Scott and Tobi said...

Life is just one funny thing after another. Loved your post!!! Can hardly wait to see what you have and what the new little Norton will look like. Love Tobi

The Olsen Family said...

You are so adorable Paula. I hope your week got better! I truly do not miss those pregnancy days! :)