Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Good-bye 2011

This year was a big one for the Norton family. A lot of change and the start of a big adventure for us. At the start of the year we knew our family would be moving from Austin, TX to Maine. In the middle of February Chris took off to Maine while I stayed behind to tie-up lose ends, pack, and make preparations for our arrival. We followed a month later, with the help of my mom, and arrived to our new home in the middle of March.

I can honestly say I have loved every minute. I love our home, the neighborhood we live in, our ward, our new friends, and Chris loves his job. We are now New Englanders and loving every bit of it.

The company Chris works for is re-structuring the entire power grid for the state of Maine. Upgrading all the power lines. Chris started the linesman apprentice program and loves it. He says almost everyday that he wishes this was something he found earlier. His job will be keeping us up here for the next 4 1/2 years, something we're very excited about.

I gave birth to the 5th and final lil Nort this September. I get to stay home with these munchkins and there is never a dull moment. I love it. I am currently the Secretary for the Primary . I've never had the chance to work in the Primary before, but now that I have 4 kids in Primary it's been a lot of fun!

Ryan is in the 2nd grade and was baptized this year. She now goes to Activity Days at the church every other Wednesday and loves it. She has the best advisors! She's also the best little 'mommy' and a great helper to me with her little brothers. There are some days I don't know what I would do without her! She's a fantastic reader and we're finding out she has the most beautiful singing voice. Something she did NOT inherit from her parents!

Logan has been going to pre-school this year and spent the year as a Sunbeam in Primary. She is turning into quite the fashionista. Logan knows exactly what she likes and exactly how she'll wear it and isn't afraid to tell me what she thinks about some of my choices! It's comical and we love it! She's my shadow whenever I'm in the kitchen. No matter what I'm doing she comes in and asks if she can help. I love it!

Phoenix started pre-school this year. 'Bubba' is all 'boy' and keeps his sisters on their toes. All summer he carried a bucket around collecting worms. He got his first bike this year and it was fun watching him learn to ride it. 'Bubba' is our cuddler. He loves to snuggle up with us and tell us how much he loves us. He's a sweet lil man. He also doesn't like to be called a 'big boy'. He'll correct us and say, "No, I'm still little". So for a little while longer, Bubba's still our 'little man'!

Fox. The family comedian. When we moved to Maine he wasn't quite 1 and was just learning to walk. Now he doesn't walk anywhere. He trots, skips, or gallops! He knows how to make his brother and sisters laugh and loves doing it! His smile and giggle are infectious and that combination make it really hard to be mad at him! He's a great brother to his baby brother Sai and so helpful when it comes to feeding him or changing him. We love our little Fox!

Baby Sai! Since his arrival at the end of September our family has felt 'complete'. As the youngest of the brood he's patient with his older siblings and their ample 'loves'. We're just starting to see his personality emerge. At his last check-up he was "off the charts" for his weight and in the 50% for height! Short and fat....just how we like them!

We started the year with the grand adventure of our move. It took us 4 days to drive and we covered a lot of country that I have never had the opportunity to see. After spending all but 3 years of my life between California and Utah, living in the Northeast and in part of New England has been incredible! I feel like a kid on Christmas almost everyday after we arrived! Our new home and the New England culture have been very exciting for us to experience!

We enjoyed our first New England summer and had our first visitor when Audrey came to visit on the 4th of July. We spent all of our time swimming with friends, going to the beach and playing at the great playground right behind our house. We ate lobster and picked strawberries. This coming year we look forward to apple picking, planting a garden, camping and exploring the light houses! Fall in New England did not disappoint. We enjoyed Thanksgiving with friends and looked forward to going "home" to California for Christmas. There we enjoyed the holidays surrounded by a growing family!

We feel so blessed. We are healthy and happy and surrounded by great friends in a beautiful new home! 2011 was a great year for the Nortons!

No comments: