I had one of those
epiphial...(is that a word?)...moments
tonight
as I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner.
When I was younger
there was a chore chart.
The dreaded dinner chore chart.
Everything was divided up.
Help with dinner.
Clear and Sweep.
Dishes.
and
Week Off!
Aside from 'week off'....which was always
the best and most coveted position.
I could never decide as a kid
which of the other three was the worst!
I hated them all.
Dinner chores were the worst!
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact
that I was clearing a table that fed twelve.
Doing as many dishes.
Or helping with a dinner
that was usually 3x larger than the average family meal?!?
I don't know.....
But as I worked in my own kitchen tonight
I had to stop and laugh
thinking about the chore chart.
If someone would'v told me 20-something years ago
that I would be doing all the chores.....
willingly,
that 'week off' didn't exist....
and that none of them were really all that bad.
I don't know what I would'v said.....
or thought!
Funny how things go full-circle like that!
My own kids will soon come to know the 'pains' of a chore chart.
And years later, I hope, the 'joys'....
of a clean kitchen,
washed dishes,
and a swept floor
after a well prepared meal.
We'll see!
Just a thought.......

No comments:
Post a Comment